Sunday, May 8, 2011

Learn More about Author Susan Stephenson

A film that brings tears to your eyes: The Blind Side.

Describe your first kiss
: I don't remember my first kiss, but fortunately I can recall the last one in complete sensory detail - sweet and romantic.

Your favorite children's book, and why
: My favourite children's book changes day by day. But an old favourite is Enid Blyton's The FarawayTree. I love the world that Blyton built and how it feeds our imaginations.

A cause that's closest to your heart, and why
: Children's literacy is of huge importance to me. I love to read, write, create and educate myself. I believe many of the world's ills could be solved by such education, particularly encouraging parents to read to their kids. And the thought of libraries closing due to lack of funding absolutely appals me.

If you could be a character in any novel, who would you be?
I would be Anne in Anne of Green Gables. 

Explain the worst job that you've held.
My worst job was being Latrine Officer in a children's camp. When one of the kids dropped her gold watch into the pit, it was my job to fetch it back for her. I came to fully understand the meaning of trust as I was lowered by my ankles.

A quote that motivates you
:“It is better to create than to be learned, creating is the true essence of life.”  (Barthold Georg Niebuhr)

The title of the one song you could take with you to that deserted island
: "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside" - in the hope that such a positive affirmation will help me withstand the solitude!

Three Wishes

   1. For me: I wish, oh how I wish, that I could draw.
   2. For my family and friends: health and happiness.
   3. For the world: an end to greed.

Favorite game you played as a child:
Imaginative games - roleplaying Robin Hood and building cubbies in the bush so we could spy on the Sheriff.



The Book Chook

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more about children's literacy. As a former English teacher, it broke my heart to learn how many kiddos do not read and are positive that they "hate" reading.

    ReplyDelete