Sunday, June 5, 2011

Learn More about Author Sondra Wright

A film that brings tears to your eyes . . .
The movie “Imitation of Life” always evokes such strong emotions in me. The pain and hostility surrounding Sara Jane’s lifelong identity struggle; the toll it takes on her mother Annie, until she finally dies of a broken heart, and in the end Sara Jane realizing the hurt she had caused the mother who loved her and showing up much too late to ask her forgiveness.
Describe your first kiss…
My first kiss came very much by surprise. I was at my friend Sylvia’s house and her younger brother just swooped in and planted one on me. It was like the 4th of July going off in my head.
Your favorite children's book, and why . . .
Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. I still pick it up and read it sometimes today. It’s such a soothing and relaxing little story. It’s so beautifully illustrated and I love the way the little bunny acknowledges every item in the room with a good night.
A cause that's closest to your heart, and why . . . I have an enormous passion for children and the elderly. These are often defenseless populations whose needs are easily overlooked. The Kinship Care Coalition and Advocacy Group of North Carolina is a startup organization that’s very near and dear to me right now. The organization raises awareness for the strikingly large number of grandparents who are raising grandchildren today; to make sure they get the support and services they need.
If you could be a character in any novel, who would you be?
My Shero - - the woman behind the horse -- Penny Chenery, Secretariat!!
Explain the worst job that you've held.
In my early 20’s I worked for a job listing service. Job seekers paid a fee and in return we gave them a list of employers that they could have probably located on their own for free. I hated it because I felt like we were scamming people! I remember talking with clients and at the same time trying to give them an “eye signal” to take their money and run. It was pretty bad.
A quote that motivates you . . . I heard someone say once, “God is watching…give Him a good show.” And that’s a quote that really moves me to give my best, be my best and do my best at all times - in every situation.
The title of the one song you could take with you to that deserted island . . .
Bustin Loose by Chuck Brown never fails to elevate my mood. It makes me happy, it makes me want to move – it makes me feel like I can conquer the world.
Three Wishes
   1. That everyone would know God’s love
   2. That there was no such thing as a hungry child
   3. That people learn to value and respect each others differences
Favorite game you played as a child . . .
Scrabble! My mom played with me every week. In the beginning she beat me so badly I would cry, but she never cut me any slack and that was a good thing. Playing against such a tough competitor not only forced me to build my spelling and vocabulary skills but really served to develop my critical and strategic thinking skills as well.

1 comment:

  1. Good Night Moon was the first book I received when I was pregnant with my first child. Yes, one I will read again and again long after the squirts have moved on to chapter books.

    ReplyDelete