Monday, September 24, 2012

Charlaine Harris' Deadlocked Book Club

Charlaine Harris' twelfth novel in the Sookie Stackhouse series, Deadlocked, failed to satisfy my Eric Northman cravings.  In fact, his character was practically AWOL from the entire novel.  If a Bon Temps resident myself, I definitely would have enlisted the aid of the Long Tooth Pack in order to find my Viking.  Other characters made cameo appearances (via telephone in this case) in the novel as well such as Quinn the weretiger, but did not seem to add anything to the storyline.
Although I continued to turn the pages and finished Deadlocked within a forty-eight-hour reading, I think it had more to do with an inner determination to find the hook found in previous Stackhouse novels.  Nevertheless, I will be anxiously awaiting the thirteenth in the series.
For the purposes of book club, discussing this novel over the meal Sookie made for friend Tara and husband J.B.  seems like the likely choice " . . . hamburger-and-sausage meatloaf, a pasta salad, and a carrot casserole . . . [as well as] a blackberry cobbler" (184) and Sookie's famous iced tea.  In addition, Sookie's sweet potato casserole would be a comforting addition to book club considering the lack of tall, blond, and built.

Charlaine Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment