Friday, April 6, 2012

E.L. James' Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy Book Club

When a dear friend and author (@carolgalusha/twitter) texts you in the middle of the night imploring you to beg, borrow, or steal E.L. James' Fifty Shades of Grey, my interest was piqued.  The next day while at my friendly village library, I think I blushed (my friend warned me of the novel's amorous effects) when I requested the librarian perform a search for the trilogy in question.  Hearing there was a lengthy wait of 60+ requests for book one of the series, I graciously denied the request to be added to this list.  Knowing this was a read that could not wait, I caved and downloaded book one onto my phone.
Va, va, va, and voom!  Not having asked Ms. Galusha details, I took her at her word not having any idea what to expect (deep breath).  Reading definitely surpassed any expectations.  Complex characters with intense needs quickly unfold in book one.  Delving further into book one, I found similarities between Twilight characters and Fifty Shades characters, but far from the young adult genre.  With similar themes of tortured souls overcoming dark pasts, starry-eyed, opposites-attract lovers, and the happily ever after, E.L. James had me at page one.  
Consumed by the far-from-black-and-white (grey) story, I immediately downloaded books two and three at the conclusion of book one.  Instead of being disappointed by weak, redundant, cookie-cutter sequels, I was grateful for the interjection of more complex storylines and found books two (especially) and book three to be more engrossing reads.

For the purposes of book club, a Grey-Themed Party is definitely a must.  Have "bookies" come dressed in their favorite shades of grey (fifty of which to choose from) and provide masks to allow anonymity when answering discussion questions.  A prize, perhaps handcuffs, can then be given to the participant unanimously deemed "best dressed in character."
A sparkling pink drink would be nice to bring to mind Christian and Ana's favorite drink.  Because Christian would demand we eat, a splurge of oysters, perhaps, to mirror a first of Anastasia's, or a warming chicken stew courtesy of (warning:  spoiler alert) Mrs. Taylor (a.k.a. Mrs. Jones).
Finally, after all of the meals have been eaten in their entirety, send book club members home with a goody bag containing cable ties and the like.


9 comments:

  1. How do I join ? I'm I'm my third time reading the whole thing????? Alushamar@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab post, i loved the books too :-)

    TToria @ ttoria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, book two was my favorite...and I'm not one to read series! Your comparison of Shades to Twilight (as a much tamer version) was right on. EL James was creative and the reader couldn't help to cheer on the relationship of Ana and Grey. LOVED the book club suggestions...especially the pink bubbly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the wonderful book! I finished it a few days ago and cannot get it out of my head. It is pure magic. It was everything I hoped it would be and much more. Thank you so much.50 shades movie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stella, he would be a good pick, but aren't they looking at Henry Cavill, Superman?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ian Somerhalder has finally responded to rumors that he's a favorite to play Christian Grey's role in Fifty Shades Of Grey Movie.
    50 Shades Movie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting! I had to look him up. Not too shabby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Movie Fifty Shades Provide the trilogy for fans to read the latest news on the movie casting; Jamie Dornan with Dakota Johnson as Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele and much more.
    Fifty Shades Movie

    ReplyDelete