Saturday, June 21, 2014

Loving Another Woman's Child

Looking back, I see how apparent the reasons of why I became a teacher.  Not only am I a "BIG kid"  (not a baby goat) at heart, but I have this desire to positively contribute to a child's self worth based solely on his/her unique person, the child as gift philosophy.  This undoubtedly springs from my own dysfunctional upbringing where I was placed on the metaphorical back burner.

As a mother, I am blessed to be given the opportunity to express daily to each of my children her importance and ability to impact others through kindness, generosity, and love

In addition, I have been blessed to have been given the opportunity to love and learn from other women's children. . .  as a teacher, coach, neighbor, group leader, and mother.  

My children bring home some of the most intelligent, hilarious, thoughtful friends who will undoubtedly improve this world as adults and who do so already as children.

What is difficult, though, is having to say, "I'll see ya later!" to these kiddos when they move away.  Unfortunately for us, we have now had to do this two years in a row.  As seen in my daughter's second-grade journal, the impact is lasting as the girls mentioned in the journal moved at the end of the previous school year.  


Our whole family full of tears said goodbye to Miss C., my eldest's tow-haired, blue eyed, classmate, fellow Girl Scout, and neighbor.  In fact, I think we hoped right until we saw the moving truck that perhaps plans would change, and this girl's move would be aborted.  This young lady brought much joy to our lives through her gentle manner, helpful ways, and unending smile.

This year, we are having to say goodbye to Miss E.  My eldest daughter met her in kindergarten as they were both seated at the "Rainbow Pegasus" table.  Miss E., a young beautiful lady with the most distinct voice- low and raspy- also touched the life of my youngest daughter as a reading mentor this past year in school.  With much anticipation, Colette readied herself (minus any of the usual urgings) for school on "Reading Buddy Day."  In fact, those two are so much alike, I can look into the future and see what my youngest squirt will be like in two years.  In return, Miss E. always looked out for my youngest on the playground at school and otherwise as I often heard her say, "Where is Colette?"

Although Miss E. and her family's moving truck is full and headed for the East Coast, I can only hope one day these belongings will find their way back to this area.

How has loving another woman's child impacted you?

No comments:

Post a Comment