Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars Book Club

I read John Green's The Fault in Our Stars in a 48-hour span.  Wowza!  Not only does Green capture the adolescent thought processes, but also characterizes the young cancer patient's philosophy and outlook on living and dying with cancer.  

Hooked early on with the female protagonist's wit and outlook on life, I could not read enough from or about Hazel:

I hadn't been in proper school in three years.   My parents were my two best friends.  My third best friend was an author who did not know I existed.  I was a fairly shy person- not the hand-raising type.  (12)

'Pretty great,'  I agreed, although it wasn't, really.  It was kind of a boy movie.  I don't know why boys expect us to like boy movies.  We don't expect them to like girl movies.  (35)

Augustus asked if I wanted to go with him to Support Group, but I was really tired from my busy day of Having Cancer, so I passed.  (125)

Having been a cancer patient myself, I could relate to Hazel's commentary.  Furthermore, the intellectual banter which exists between Hazel and Augustus throughout is a delight to read as in their exploration of breakfast foods:

'Like why don't we have curry for breakfast?' . . .  

'But why?' I asked.  'I mean, seriously:  How did scrambled eggs get stuck with breakfast exclusivity?  You can put bacon on a sandwich without anyone freaking out.  But the moment your sandwich has an egg, boom, it's a breakfast sandwich.'  (137)

Thus, for the purposes of an evening book club over The Fault in Our Stars, step outside your comfort zone and offer breakfast for dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment