Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"Baby" Book Clubs

A child is never too young to instill the love of reading. . .  In honor of National Children's Book Week, I have decided to form a book club for my daughters, ages 3 and 5, and their friends.  My friend and I founded one when our kiddos were approximately 3 and 1 which included a story, snack, and craft.  Now, I feel it's time to elevate the "Baby" Book Club and add more adult elements such as a copy of the story for each child and/or family.  Thus, I intend to e-mail the book title in advance to member parents so that they may order from the library the book title in question prior to "discussion."    With this advance copy in hand, I am hopeful a prereading of the story will follow, which, in turn, will allow more silliness and participation on actual book club day if, for example, there is a catchy rhyme or repetition of words.  The book club attendees will be more likely to join in the reading if they are familiar with the storyliine.  In addition, "Baby" Book Club also includes snack and craft.  Field trips entail storytimes at the library, Barnes and Noble, Borders, and independent bookstores where children's authors often conduct signings and readings.Children's Book Week

No comments:

Post a Comment